Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quick Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes

Last night I was going through my new issue (June/July 2010) of Healthy Cooking (Taste of Home) and came across a recipe that I thought would be good to use for food storage. Quick Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes. I modified it to work with our storage (and left out the raisins) and they tasted really good. I thought I would share it with you and include the substitutions I made:

Quick Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups buttermilk (2 cups mixed powdered milk plus 2 T white vinegar)
1/2 c egg substitute (2 powdered eggs)
2 T canola oil
1/2 c flour
2 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup raisins

In a small bowl, combine oats and buttermilk: Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in egg substitute and oil; set aside. (When you make "buttermilk" with vinegar you are supposed to let it sit a bit before using. Because this was already sitting then I just mixed the milk powder, water and vinegar and then added the oatmeal and let it sit.) (There is no need to mix your powdered eggs and water in a separate bowl. When it comes time to add the egg substitute just add the amount of water your egg directions call for to make 2 eggs, but don't add the powder.)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. (Now, add the egg powder). Stir in the wet ingredients until moistened. Add raisins.

Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.

Note: I play around with how much fat to add on a lot of recipes. I suggest not doing that with this recipe. This morning I doubled this recipe and forgot to double the oil. I had a rough time with the pancakes sticking to the pan until I realized my mistake and added what I had forgotten.

A couple of years ago I had a lot of pears and got tired of canning them. I came across a Pear Syrup recipe at USU extension that was a lot easier than I thought it might be. It was wonderful on these pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe. Like you, I would take out the raisins as we love cooked oatmeal with raisins, oatmeal raisin cookies, oatmeal raisin cake...... but somehow they just don't sound good in pancakes!

    ReplyDelete