Friday, May 6, 2011

Don't Let Food Storage Overwhelm You

I saw someone in the store the other day and they noticed that I had a lot of noodles in my shopping cart.  Lately I've been trying to get whole wheat noodles which have more fiber in them.  We got to talking about food storage and how overwhelming it can be.

I remember when I first decided to get a year supply of food.  I had found salt on sale. I was able to get a whole year of salt for my family for $6.27 (It would be more now).  I was excited because I may not have been able to say I had a year supply of everything, but I did have it of one thing.  That was enough to get me more excited about getting it in other things.

Since then The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints now recommends that we store 3 months of food we normally eat and then start on our year supply of basic long-term storage. So buy an extra can of soup when you go to the store.  Or an extra package or chicken breasts. Or it you're my dad, buy an extra case of ketchup.  Little by little you will get there.

Just wanted to add that if you would like to be on the cannery reminder email list (for those in my stake) please post a comment here or go the church website to get my email address and email me.  I try to email everyone on the list a day or so before the cannery, though I'm not perfect in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment